Monday, February 24, 2014

Welcome Home, Sister Elizabeth Bown

Elizabeth Bown, the third fulltime missionary in the family of James and Paula Bown, returned with honor on February 20 from service in the Poland Warsaw Mission.  “It was the most amazing 18 months of my life.  I know all returning missionaries say that but it truly was and I miss the people already,” states this beautiful young woman. 

Although she appears to have mastered one of the world’s ten most difficult languages, she laughs when she thinks back to her first few weeks in the MTC.  “I was quite certain I would be the only missionary in the church who could not successfully learn the language I was called to speak!  I did it, but along the way I also learned – more than ever – humility and how much I needed to rely on the Lord.” 

During her time in Poland she served in five cities and saw the work move forward in a handful of branches administered by young leaders – both in age and in membership, but not without their own strong testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Now home in Bloomington, Elizabeth is enjoying the early spring weather after spending more than half her mission in Poland's snow and ice.  She is also relishing time catching up with her sisters Sarah, Caroline, Grace and Martha and following the missionary successes of her only brother Peter, currently serving in the Texas Houston Mission.

What does her future hold now that she is back in the arms of her family and friends?  According to President Bown, his second daughter will work in his office for the next two months, then return to BYU for the spring semester of her third year studying Human Relations.

Welcome home, Sister Elizabeth Bown.

No comments:

Post a Comment